Tuesday, February 4, 2014

10 stories from 10 years of Facebook

Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 9.19.55 AM

One of the most interesting parts of Facebook has been Facebook Stories, which show how the social network has connected or impacted people in real life. Today, as Facebook celebrates a decade of making the world more open and connected, Facebook Stories showed 10 cases from around the world where the site served as a vital link or support system.


In Brazil, Facebook helped give a homeless poet a voice, as a friend started a Facebook page showcasing his poetry. In Kenya, Facebook connected a village’s craftswomen with a boutique owner in New Jersey.



Facebook also kept one California couple connected as the husband was deployed overseas … but also helped the wife keep the husband’s memory alive after his untimely passing:


Having this archive of our relationship means the world to me. I fully regret not marrying Will when I had the chance, and it bothers me that he will forever only be known my “boyfriend,” when really, he was my entire world.


Sometimes when I’m lonely, I go back and read everything he sent to me. I didn’t think about it much then, but having it all in one place took on a complete new meaning when I lost Will forever.



The social network brought together two strangers who turned out to be twins and gave a Swedish rock group a chance at an encore performance.


Click here to see the rest of the stories.


Readers: Has Facebook had a profound impact on your life? Let us know!


Source: Inside Facebook



10 stories from 10 years of Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment