Not feeling like a Rock Star at the office? You may be experiencing the effects of kryptonite, or a lack of work life balance. Oh the drudgery of trying to manage the office, your personal business and family. It may seem like you are circus clown juggling every facet of life, dropping a few balls, missing appointments, forgetting what needs to be done, and working at home during family time. It’s time to remove those silly big red shoes and make time for a better balanced life.
A loud scream is acceptable at this moment. Life can be so overwhelming and exhausting. I know the feeling.
- On average, how many hours per day do you spend on personal business that may divert your time, energy and focus away from your daily business operations?
- Do you ever feel stressed trying to balance your personal and professional life?
- Do you wish you had more time in your day to squeeze it all in?
- Does your work load make its way to your family time?
- Are you always connected and listening for notifications?
Work life balance seems to be an elusive term these days as the line between professional and personal time seems to have become blurred with the advancement of technology and always being turned on. Some employers have come to expect 24/7 availability from their staff, which leaves little downtime for personal business and a life. There needs to be a better separation, more defined lines of business and pleasure before we completely tune out all that really matters in life and living to the fullest.
WLB can mean different things to different people. It could represent more of a “fit” versus a balance, but no matter how you want to define it or enjoy it, it is off kilter. You need to learn how to determine the different roles, times, priorities and activities and their importance in your life. How can you learn to co-exist with all of your daily responsibilities in a harmonious manner to ensure your greatest contentment?
“Organizations across the globe continue to ask their employees to ‘do more with less’, leading to increasing dissatisfaction with work-life balance. Tactical solutions like telecommuting options or flexible work schedules will not be enough to successfully address these mounting concerns. To address work-life balance issues and lessen the workloads of top employees, organizations need to develop fundamental solutions to enable their current workforces and think strategically about which key roles need to be supplemented from the outside.” Mark Royal, Hay Group.
Achieving or maintaining a healthy work life balance is a key driver for employees. They want to be able to have a life outside of the office and be able to continue to support their personal and family needs. In a Hay Group study, comprised of 5 million employees in more than 400 companies across 65 countries, more than 39% of the respondents felt they did NOT have a happy work life balance. This dissatisfaction or feeling of lack increases stress, reduces productivity, distresses family life, can create health issues in addition to increasing depression, employee burnout and turnover. It is a big problem that needs to be addressed.
Navigate Your Work Life Balance
- Work life balance should be a priority for you, your staff and your family.
- Schedule breaks throughout the day to refresh and energize.
- Set your priorities at the end of the day.
- Create your space and time boundaries for work and play.
- Schedule “ME” time.
- Address deadlines and deliverables with clients and employees.
- Understand that a balance for you may not be the same for others.
- Commit to work hours and time off.
- When you are with your family and friends, turn off notifications and be present in the moment.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Pick your battles.
- MAKE time to exercise.
- Take a vacation.
- Learn to say no. It’s okay.
- Utilize “Corporate/Personal Concierge” services (just ask Ace)
Whether you are an entrepreneur or an employee, establishing a healthy balance or “fit” is important for your physical and emotional well-being. You are always on and giving it your all, but eventually your engine can give out without the proper fuel and recovery time. If you don’t make yourself a priority, then other parts of your life will begin to suffer. Don’t wait until you are exhausted and completely burnt out. Take the time NOW to access your goals and what is most important.
“How do we reject the expectations foisted on us to excel at everything in work and in life, to drive ourselves to the limit, while we try to be happy, healthy human beings?” – Tanya Selvaratnam
What steps are you ready to take for a happier and healthier balance in your life?
If you want to test out our personal assistant services, we invite you to reach out via our Contact Us page. Let’s get a little balance back in your life.
15 Tips to Finding the Unicorn of Work Life Balance