Saturday, February 22, 2014

Meet Murray Newlands of TheMail.com

Murray Newlands

It’s safe to say that you can accomplish anything through blogging, especially when it comes to building your own brand, business or audience. As a speaker at many conferences across the country, I continually meet up with one of my good friends Murray Newlands. At these events Murray is one of the hardest working guys in attendance and it’s his job to video interview as many people as he can for his sites. Through the use of his videos and his blog, he’s able to associate his name with everyone he gets to interview and then post on the internet. The kicker here is that not only will Murray promote the interviews online, but so will the people he is interviewing… which continues to grow his own brand every day! Check out the “Meet the Bloggers” interview below to discover what Murray is currently working on today.


1.) Please tell us about yourself and how you got into blogging?



I started a blog because I wanted to raise my profile and connect with the marketing community. I primarily did this because I wanted to move to America and found out you could get a visa as an alien of extraordinary ability and having a lot of press about you was one way to do it. It worked and I was able to move to America 2 years ago.


2.) What is the focus of your blog and why did you choose that niche?


The focus of The Mail is basically all things digital marketing. Originally it started with a focus on affiliate and performance marketing, but has since grown to incorporate all different types of online marketing content that teaches our readers tips for using different online channels to make money. I chose this niche because I have been working in the affiliate marketing industry for many years and it is something that I have a lot of experience and expertise in, and am also very passionate about.


3.) How are you currently monetizing your blog traffic?


We’re currently monetizing with mostly paid ads, but I have also released a number of e-books over the past year, which generates revenue as well. I also do quite a bit of PR work for different companies.


TheMail Blog


4.) What do you know now that you wish you knew when you first started blogging?


That’s a difficult question, but I think the best answer is having the foresight to see what’s the next big thing. In order to be successful as a blogger you have to be able to recognize trends and jump on them before anybody else does, and I think that’s a skill that you develop with experience.


5.) What are three blogs that you visit almost daily?


Search Engine Journal, ZacJohnson.com, Adrants.com and Technorati


6.) Can you give us three recommended tools/services that you use with your blogging?


For me the three tools I use most are Final Cut Pro X to create my video content, Help A Reporter Out to get great guest content, and of course, my Facebook and Twitter to share my content with a larger audience.


7.) What advice would you have for someone who is just starting with their first blog?


Love what you’re writing about. If you aren’t passionate about the topic of your blog, it will be very difficult to come up with new and engaging content, and ultimately your blog will fail. The most successful bloggers are the one who are able to talk about a topic endlessly and with unparalleled expertise, and offer readers unique perspectives and expert insights.


8.) What’s the best advice or tip you’ve discovered about blogging since getting started?


I think the best advice I’ve discovered is that in order to get a lot of clicks on your content, you need to write great headlines. I’ve found that what works best for me is to include numbers in my headlines so that people know what they can expect to find in my content. For example, a common headline that I use is “5 Tips for,” or something similar. This way people know that the content will be relatively brief, easy to read, and that they will learn something. People are online to learn new things but they have abbreviated attention spans, so crafting headlines that cater to that is the best way to get people to interact with your site.


9.) If you only had $100 to start a new blog, how would you use it?


I would spend it on a good hosting site, and good branding. Your logo is the first thing people see and will be the thing that you remember it by, so investing in the imagery of your site is really important. Plus, having a hosting company that doesn’t crash all the time is a must.


10.) How can readers of the blog get in touch with you?


You can find the site at www.themail.com, and site up for our newsletter there as well. For social channels, find us on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube to stay up to date with all of our exclusive content.


Thanks again Murray Newlands for taking the time to share your advice and story with the Blogging Tips community. If you would like to learn about other bloggers and how they are finding success online, be sure to read through our blogger interview series.



Copyright © 2014 Blogging Tips. This Feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this material in your news aggregator, the site you are looking at is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact us so we can take legal action immediately.

The post Meet Murray Newlands of TheMail.com appeared first on Blogging Tips.




Source: Blogging Tips



Meet Murray Newlands of TheMail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment