Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A Bad Hire? Why Are You Freaking Out?!

A Bad Hire? Why Are You Freaking Out?! image subscribe22

For the first time in my career the other day, I was called a grumpy old man. I laughed, as I have never seen my self as a grumpy person. Rarely do you see me without a smile on my face.


Let’s talk about hiring for a minute. It is hard isn’t it? Finding the right culture fit. Finding the right match for your team. As a manager, hiring the right person reflects upon your image as a leader. Right???


I guess so.


You know I wish we could predict the future. I wish we knew how someone would do in a certain role. We try to control the uncontrollable. The funny thing about recruiting is that we are dealing with PEOPLE. People, my friends, are as unpredictable as the weather.


As someone who has been in recruiting and sales for 20 years I can tell you that people that I thought would be the best hire ever turned out to be the worst. I can also tell you someone I thought would be an awful hire turned out to outperform the rest.


How can we identify who is going to be successful? Sure, you can use predictive analytics. You can run multiple personality tests. In the end though, “people are going to do what they are going to do”.


You know, I am going to get slapped for saying this, but I wish people would stop trying to kill themselves to find the “perfect” hire. Ladies and Gentlemen, it doesn’t exist! If you look at someone hard enough, you are going to find SOMETHING WRONG with EVERYONE!!!


Hiring is nothing more than an educated guess. A hunch. A gut feeling. If you make a bad hire, you made a bad hire. SO WHAT! Do your due diligence and rather than over evaluating something, pull the trigger. Hire the person! The amount of time and lost productivity you are looking for the “perfect” candidate will eventually drive you crazy.


I would rather be aggressive, and make a well thought out decision any day of the week than no decision at all. I think the “no decisions” are the worst decisions of them all. Go ahead and go ahead with the hire. If it doesn’t work out, it wasn’t meant to be. People over analyze everything and I think it is ridiculous.


Call me grumpy or jaded or whatever you want. I have seen it all too often though.


What are your thoughts?


Have you been drug through a process only to have someone not make a decision at all? Pretty frustrating isn’t it? So I am going to ask you again. Why are you freaking out over a bad hire?



Source: B2C_Business



A Bad Hire? Why Are You Freaking Out?!

No comments:

Post a Comment